11/27/13

core of stone

I've put the book I'm writing away for a while. You can get far too close to something and then not see it at all. So it is parked, until I can see it from a distance, which will be after Christmas. Though it is not as finished as I rather hubristically let myself think until quite recently, it is finished in a way. The plot is there and the key moments are there and all of that. I've been very fortunate to have good people advise me about it (my girlfriend who is a wonderful reader, and an editor who I'm lucky to have a correspondence with). So I am happy enough. Let's say mild-persistent-feeling-of-accomplishment happy.


On my way to work this week I've been listening to Shifted's Under a Single Banner album. Ah here, you might say, not another one of these grimy industrial techno albums. I thought so too, at first. It is very much of techno of that ubiquitous stripe. But it has something more to my ears. There's a sculptural quality to it - the sculpture of huge solid objects, of heft. Like SunnO)))'s Monoliths and Dimensions and Sleep's Dopesmoker the music implies vast physicality, weight and traction. When I listen I think of objects of stone and steel, monolithic and weathered.

Weirdly enough, I also think of The Lord of the Rings. The Lord of the Rings was one of the last books I read before teenage self-consciousness somehow obliterated my capacity to imagine freely (I'll write more about this mystery again). It was the last book I really felt I was 'in' (until I taught myself to once more read mindfully a decade and a half later). Anyway, there is bit in the first book where a terrific evil creature called a Balrog emerges from the bowels of the earth to the sound of drums. Half asleep on the DART in the morning's gloom, with the corroded kick drum coming from somewhere deep beyond my headphones, I remembered the Balrog. 


2 comments:

TAD said...

G: I am bummed that you had to set your book aside for awhile -- though I'm sure your subject matter is much grimmer and darker than mine was ... and now that my book is Out There, I know very well how easy it is to look at something for so long that you no longer SEE it. I could write a whole blog post about all the stuff I left out of my book by accident, stuff that only occurred to me after it was too late to fix. And this was even after I let the book "cool off" for almost a month. So whatever works for you. I'll still be looking forward to it....
BTW, my book is not making me rich, though at least two people I don't know bought it, so that's something.... It still means a lot to me, and I'm still full of that "good feeling-of-accomplishment" you talked about....
Yours for more best-sellers....

Gardenhead said...

it's nothing to be bummed out about Tad. The book is going to find a home I have no doubt. Also, I will buy yours before Christmas. Don't you worry. Happy thanksgiving belatedly!