10/29/13

In which I eventually talk about music...part i

I'm off work for a week, so I am trying to write. I'm breaking up some of the time during the day by listening to music. Aware that I hardly ever post any more, I'm going to use this post to have a look at some tracks. They're taken from what I've listened to most, in recent months, on my last.fm account (oh btw it's really interesting to go back through your musical history and read it like 'a diary'). I'll do it in two parts. This is part one.

DJ Rashad - Double Cup
This is an album in the footwork style, which is an extremely high bpm mixture of bass music and dancing that developed in Chicago over the past decade. I can't stop listening to Double Cup. It's an album of contrasts. The high bpms and chopped vocals are played off against smoothly drifting samples and synths.

It's similar to techno, in one way, I suppose, in that everything is composed with the function of dancing kept in mind. This track has a real acid house tinge to it. It's extraordinary.

Acid Bit Double Cup... feel it...

F.U.S.E - Dimension Intrusion.
When Daniel Lopatin was composing his latest album R plus Seven, he kept a youtube account where he favourited lots of things, quite regularly. Following it was fun, because of the variety and strangeness of the stuff that turned up on it. For example, I discovered a real gem of a techno record on it, (loads of people probably already know it. Sorry if I'm ignorant), F.U.S.E's Dimension Intrusion. 

F.U.S.E. is one of the Detroit techno producer Richie Hawtin's earliest pseudonyms. He's released a bunch of stuff on Warp Records under that pseudonym. The album Dimension Intrusion is the best of them. It's class. It's pure Detroit. Muscular, trippy techno from the later part of its early days. 

Sweet classic techno

Oneohtrix Point Never - Zebra
There's a lot going on on this fellow's new album, more than I'd begin to know where to comment. But one of the things he seems to be doing, is something that Zomby does or tries to do. He's marking a course through all of dance music. You can hear bits of Kraftwerk in his album at one end, and James Ferraro's weird MS Windows music at the other. He maps out his own territory too, though. Nobody else could quite make those rising vapours of sound that hover around so many of his tracks. This track, 'Zebra', is one of the clearer references to a point in dance music's history.

Synth Blitz

Okay, I'm off to feed some birds. I'll do more of these again this week.

2 comments:

TAD said...

G: My record-store memoir's done and it's available at Amazon's Kindle Store -- just look up GUARANTEED GREAT MUSIC! or my name (Tracy Deaton) and it should pop up and you can have a look!
How's your best-seller going? I'm excited and Life Is Good. Hope you are the same....

Gardenhead said...

Hey Tad I am definitely going to get that to look at over christmas. Delighted you completed such a big project. I have changed the comment settings back so I can see when I get comments. So there will be no more forgetting and moderating them weeks later. :D